Merrie Turner Lightner, Esq.
Real Estate Manager, Attorney, Opine Experts Co-founder
Ms. Lightner is an attorney who’s not only managed both rent-controlled multi-family and commercial income properties since 1984, but served for twelve years as a Rent Board Commissioner in San Francisco. Her unique qualifications as a forensic consultant and expert witness have been honed by fifteen years' experience in deposition and trial.
Merrie is an accomplished writer, teacher and public speaker. Her contributions to the multi-family housing industry include the presidency of the San Francisco and California Apartment Associations.
Ms. Lightner combines a lawyer’s mind with decades’ experience as an income property manager, twelve years as a Rent Control Commissioner and fifteen years as a forensic consultant. She adds practical wisdom to case strategy sessions. She brings a knowledgeable, fully informed perspective to the settlement table, having saved litigants from being blinded by their emotions; and is very skilled at depositions and trial testimony.
Ms. Lightner is a court-qualified expert who has earned respect from both landlords and tenants for her thoughtful, unbiased positions. Judges have complimented Merrie for her thorough and cogent presentations.
Real Estate Management
- Principal, Lightner Property Group, San Francisco, since 1984
- Forensic Consultant and Expert Witness since 1996
Commercial Real Estate Leasing
- Clarke & Cramer, San Francisco
- Rent Control, Commissioner, San Francisco Rent Stabilization and Arbitration Board
- Landlord/Tenant and other Real Estate Matters, Lightner Property Group, San Francisco
- Law ClerkLittler, Mendelson, Fastiff & Tichy, San Francisco
Professional Certifications and Licenses
- Attorney at Law, California (State Bar Number 098274)
- Real Estate Broker, California (DRE License Number 00822642)
- Faculty Member, National Apartment Association Education Institute
- Approved Instructor, California Department of Real Estate
- University of California at Davis School of Law, Juris Doctor
- Pomona College, Claremont, California, Bachelor of Arts
- National Apartment Association Education Institute Advanced Instructor Training,
- Environmental Education Foundation (hazardous materials) – Mold
- University of California – Lead Based Paint Inspection & Assessment
- ADRA – Commercial Mediation Course
References and Testimonials
Paul Utrecht, Zacks & Utrecht (415) 956-8100 * Michael Hall, M C Hall & Associates (415) 512-9865 * Bradley Jameson, Phillips Spallas & Angstadt (415) 278-9400
Contributions to Profession and Community
Board Positions & Appointments
- First National Bank of Northern California, Board Member on Loan and Audit Committees
- Fort Mason Foundation Board of Trustees, Finance Committee
- Professional Property Management Association Board Member
- San Francisco Association of Realtors, Chair, Forms Committee
- San Francisco Rent Stabilization & Arbitration Board Commissioner
- California Apartment Association, President, State Government, Member,
- San Francisco Apartment Association
- California State Bar – Real Property Section
- Coalition for Better Housing